Lead Engineer, Network Operations
POSTING DATE: Open until filled
CENIC connects California to the world—advancing education and research statewide by providing the world-class network essential for innovation, collaboration and economic growth. This nonprofit organization operates the California Research and Education Network (CalREN), a high-capacity network designed to meet the unique requirements of over 20 million users, including the vast majority of K-20 students together with educators, researchers and other vital public-serving institutions.
CENIC’s Charter Associates are part of the world’s largest education system; they include the California K-12 system, California Community Colleges, the California State University system, California’s Public Libraries, the University of California system, Stanford, Caltech, and USC. CENIC also provides connectivity to leading-edge institutions and industry research organizations around the world, serving the public as a catalyst for a vibrant California.
Reporting to the Manager of Network Operations, the Lead Engineer within Network Operations supervises a defined shift and is responsible for all aspects of workflow, coverage, and support of network services during this shift. In addition to duties normally assigned to all NOC Engineers, the Lead Engineer will function as the first point of escalation, providing technical leadership and decision making to on-shift staff and/or escalating issues, both internally and externally as necessary.
The following section details the core responsibilities and duties of the role. It is expected that Lead Engineers perform these duties in the normal course of work. Non-essential responsibilities are those considered peripheral, incidental or a minimal part of the job and are not specified in this section
- Responsible for day-to-day operational and technical support of the CalREN backbone, as well as other contracted services. Support includes, but is not limited to:
- Monitoring network performance in order to detect, identify, and address performance issues and outages
- Analyzing and resolving complex network problems
- Responding to service requests via phone and email
- Resolving trouble tickets related to operational aspects of the network
- Coordinating with services providers to resolve network incidents
- Maintaining accurate inventory information for network equipment
- Coordinate and perform network maintenance and deployment activities.
- Support deployment plans and schedules by:
- Preparing/reviewing instruction sets for field support technicians
- Coordinating shipment of parts to network sites
- Maintaining documentation as it relates to network configuration, network mapping, processes, and service records.
- Coordinate turnover activities with other Operations Engineers to provide smooth and seamless network support across shifts.
- Provide leadership for direct reports by:
- Organizing and delegating work for on-shift engineers
- Evaluate open/closed tickets for appropriate follow-up
- Determine need for escalation of issues or events
- Review turnover reports, maintenance announcements and events to ensure appropriate communications and scheduling
- Train new staff and assist in making arrangements for appropriate levels of coverage in response to planned and unplanned absences
- Identify mentoring & coaching opportunities with staff
- Be available for after hours support as needed with other Lead Engineers
- Set shift expectations and review performance of direct reports
- Work closely with Manager on development and implementation of new and/or enhanced procedures, policies, and documentation
- Identify procedural, technical, & soft skill gaps within Network Operations and provide solutions to resolve them
- Conduct annual reviews with Manager for all direct reports
- Participate in the Operations Engineer hiring process
- Maintain current understanding of emerging network products, services, protocols, and standards in order to deploy and support appropriate growth and expansion of the network infrastructure
Key Success Factors:
- Strong technical knowledge of current network hardware
- Ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment, to balance multiple projects and tasks and complete them successfully and within timelines
- Strong interpersonal skills with a focus on customer service orientation; excellent track record of customer satisfaction
- Highly self motivated; able to undertake new tasks without direction and regularly achieves results with minimal supervision or direction
Special Conditions of Employment:
- Overtime work and changes to shift or days worked as required
- Occasional pulling and installing of cables in raised floors and overhead ladder racks
- Occasional lifting and transporting of moderately heavy (25 to 50 pounds) and heavy (over 50 pounds) objects, such as routers, switches, computers and peripherals
- Occasional travel to other facilities to assist in implementation, troubleshooting, or related activities
- Valid non-commercial Class C California driver’s license or equivalent license recognized by the state of California
Sitting, standing, walking.
Work at computer for extended periods.
Lift and carry packages of up to 20 lbs.
Occasional overnight travel may be required.
The salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. CENIC offers a generous benefits package, including health, dental, vision, and life insurance, liberal vacation, holiday, and sick leave, and employer contribution to retirement.
CENIC has two California offices, the home office in La Mirada and a smaller office in Berkeley. The Infrastructure and Facilities Engineer will work out of the La Mirada office.
CENIC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
CENIC is proud of the diversity of our staff and of those we serve and will not deny employment on the basis of race, national origin, ethnic identification, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, color, or disability; neither will CENIC discriminate against any employees on the basis of the above.
Please send your resumes with salary history or current salary to:
16700 Valley View Ave. Suite 400
La Mirada, California 90638
Attn: Lead Engineer, Network Operations
or via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. "Lead Engineer, Network Operations" must in the subject of the e-mail. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.