Senior Information Security Analyst / Engineer
POSTING DATE: Open until filled
CENIC connects California to the world—advancing education and research statewide by providing the world-class network essential for innovation, collaboration, and economic growth. This nonprofit organization operates the California Research and Education Network (CalREN), a high-capacity network designed to meet the unique requirements of over 20 million users, including the vast majority of K-20students together with educators, researchers and other vital public-serving institutions.CENIC’s Charter Associates are part of the world’s largest education system; they include the California K-12 system, California Community Colleges, the California State University system, California’s PublicLibraries, the University of California system, Stanford, Caltech, and USC. CENIC also provides connectivity to leading-edge institutions and industry research organizations around the world, serving the public as a catalyst for a vibrant California.
DESCRIPTION: The successful candidate will lead CENIC's security engineering team, which provides information security services and support to CENIC and its Charter Associate members. The primary responsibilities of this position are to improve CENIC's security architecture, perform proactive and reactive security analysis, respond to and resolve security incidents and provide technical expertise, especially in the area of network and system protection. In addition, participation is expected in all aspects of information security that will further enable the mission of CENIC and its Charter Associates, such as participation in: uncovering computer and network vulnerabilities, reducing the risk incurred by vulnerabilities, infusing new security technologies into CENIC’s security architecture, and promoting a security culture through consulting and training. Solid interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively in a distributed team environment are a must. Frequent travel within California; some additional US travel may be required.
- Serve as a core member of CENIC’s Security Group performing varying security duties including threat awareness, proactive network traffic analysis, incident response, forensic analysis, and resolution of security incidents.
- Collaborate with the CENIC Security Working Group, CENIC segment leaders, and other security experts around the state to develop plans, if appropriate, for a Security Operations Center.
- Integrate knowledge of network protocols, services, threats, vulnerabilities, mitigation strategies, hardware capabilities, and other information to build a security environment that reduces and mitigates risk while allowing CENIC’s open science mission to succeed.
- Evaluate a wide range of data, including Bro logs, NetFlow data, centralized syslog, authentication logs, and others to detect security incidents. Take timely action as appropriate: block problem traffic, send alerts and/or investigate when suspicious activity is detected.
- Develop new methods to detect and mitigate security attacks.
- Communicate with internal and external security personnel and system administrators about incidents.
- Respond appropriately to internal and/or external complaints (e.g., scanning, hacking, spamming, etc.).
- Promote a strong security culture throughout CENIC’s internal network, consulting with CENIC management and staff.
- Ability to be ‘on call’ outside of regular business hours on a regular and recurring basis.
KEY SUCCESS FACTORS:
- BA/BS in computer science or related field or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in information/cyber security (including college work).
- Experience developing software and proficiency in coding.
- Experience with network and host Intrusion Detection Systems (IDS; e.g., Bro, tripwire, snort) and signature development.
- Hands-on network/packet level examination using tools such as tcpdump or wireshark.
- Strong understanding of complex TCP/IP networks.
- Minimum of 4 years experience maintaining and administering production Unix/Linux operating systems including RedHat/CentOS and FreeBSD variants.
- Strong understanding of Mac and Windows operating systems.
- Knowledge of regular expressions, data and text manipulation tools such as awk and sed.
- Familiarity with public-key and private-key encryption techniques including DES, RSA, and PGP/GPG.
- Experience with logging environments such as splunk.
- Experience streamlining operational capabilities through standardization and automation.
- Able to work on multiple tasks and respond to rapidly changing priorities.
- Work well independently as well as in collaborative teams.
- Demonstrated written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to serve as a consultant on long-range vision for security architecture for CENIC.
- Able to identify and implement security enhancements that will maximize the security profile of CENIC while being sensitive to its mission.
- Experience using Bro.
- Ability to formulate, organize, and present ideas in an effective manner. Develop proposals and clearly articulate cost/benefit trade-offs to various audiences.
- Self-motivated with demonstrated ability to work highly independently, requiring little direct supervision.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment and the ability to lead teams to reach consensus.
KEY SKILLS DESIRED:
- Masters degree in computer science, computer engineering or related field.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in information/cyber security (including college work).
- Minimum of 4 years maintaining and administering production BSD based operating systems
- Solid understanding of IPv6.
- Knowledge of Layer 2, Wireless, Switching and Routing Protocols
- Demonstrated experience in system administration and/or network administration (design, implementation, and maintenance) and the ability to apply that experience to security system architecture and design.
- Familiarity with securing virtualized environments.
- Experience programming in C.
- Familiarity and experience working on research and education networks.
- Familiarity with Research and Education networking communities in the US or abroad.
- Certifications and/or training in technical specialty (e.g., CISSP, SSCP).
The salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. CENIC offers a generous benefits package, including health, dental, vision, and life insurance, liberal vacation, holiday, and sick leave, and employer contribution to retirement.
CENIC has two California offices, the home office in La Mirada and a smaller office in Berkeley. The Senior Information Security Analyst/Engineer will, initially, work out of the La Mirada office with some travel to the other office; if there is a preference for the Bay Area office, this might be accomplished once the security initiative is in place and fully functioning.
CENIC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
CENIC is proud of the diversity of our staff and of those we serve and will not deny employment on the basis of race, national origin, ethnic identification, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, color, or disability; neither will CENIC discriminate against any employees on the basis of the above.
Please send your resumes with salary history or current salary to:
16700 Valley View Ave. Suite 400
La Mirada, California 90638
Attn: HR Coordinator
or via e-mail to email@example.com. “Senior Information Security Analyst / Engineer” must be in the subject of the e-mail.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.