ABOUT CENIC: CENIC connects California to the world—advancing education and research statewide by providing the world-class network essential for innovation, collaboration, and economic growth. This nonprofit organization operates the California Research and Education Network (CalREN), a high-capacity network designed to meet the unique requirements of over 20 million users, including the vast majority of K-20 students together with educators, researchers and other vital public-serving institutions.
CENIC’s Charter Associates are part of the world’s largest education system; they include the California K-12 system, California Community Colleges, the California State University system, California’s Public Libraries, the University of California system, Stanford, Caltech, and USC. CENIC also provides connectivity to leading-edge institutions and industry research organizations around the world, serving the public as a catalyst for a vibrant California.
POSITION SUMMARY: Reporting to the Director of Operations, the Project Manager plans and sets the direction for multiple concurrent projects of varying size, including both small and large-scale projects. This position is responsible for the quality and delivery of CENIC’s service commitments on schedule and within budget, using internal and external resources and following CENIC standard policies and procedures. The Project Manager must lead all phases of the project, from beginning to end, must manage the activities of all internal and external resources on projects and/or service deliverables. In handling this work, the Project Manager may be accountable for coordinating simultaneously with one or more providers of services and/or goods, as well as multiple internal teams.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES: The following section details the primary responsibilities and duties of the role and is not a comprehensive list. The Project Manager is expected to perform these duties in the normal course of work. Non-essential responsibilities, those considered peripheral, incidental or a minimal part of the job, are not specified in this section.
- Manage/lead multiple projects through project development, launch, execution, performance, control, and close
- Effectively manage multiple competing projects and shifting priorities
- Accountable for day-to-day project support for multiple project plans and teams working on the various work areas identified
- Effectively communicate project status to, and manage expectations of, team members and stakeholders in a timely and clear fashion
- Review project team deliverables to ensure quality and adherence to internal standards, as well as regulatory requirements
- Develop strong relationships with customers to understand their needs, to anticipate obstacles to success, and to advocate internally on their behalf
- Regularly track projects, manage project risks and impact of changes, provide mitigation plans and proactively manage escalation of issues to appropriate stakeholders
- Run ad hoc reports and develop standard reports in order to establish metrics for teams and to ensure performance against metrics is tracked, measured, and socialized on a regular basis
- Analyze trends and consolidate data/information for review with primary stakeholders to drive data-based decisions
- Work collaboratively with all teams to ensure workload is appropriately assigned, and resource constraints are identified
- Develop processes and collaborate with other departments to maintain and refine processes, as well as drive the change control process
- Provide feedback and make recommendations to management on process improvements, technology, training requirements, etc.
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with CENIC Associates, providers of goods and services, and industry partners
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree preferred; relevant work experience may be considered in place of degree
- Proven experience managing multiple projects through their entire life cycle
- Excellent interpersonal and team-building skills, with strong ability to influence others
- Ability to work cross-functionally and maintain accountability for deliverables across multiple workgroups
- Demonstrably solid analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to use data effectively to drive recommendations
- Strong presentation skills, and excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- Well-organized, with impeccable attention to detail, resulting in thorough and accurate work
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Experience with vendor management preferred
- Experience in high tech environment and/or managing technical projects is preferred
- Telecommunications industry experience preferred
- Experience in a university/research environment preferred
- Project management certification preferred
- Professional Services Implementation experience preferred
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
SALARY: The salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. CENIC offers a generous benefits package, including health, dental, vision, and life insurance, liberal vacation, holiday, and sick leave, and employer contribution to retirement.
LOCATION: CENIC has two California offices, the home office in La Mirada and a smaller office in Berkeley. The Project Manager will work out of the La Mirada office.
CENIC is an equal opportunity employer: CENIC is proud of the diversity of our staff and of those we serve and will not deny employment on the basis of race, national origin, ethnic identification, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, color, or disability; neither will CENIC discriminate against any employees on the basis of the above.
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION:
Please send your resume and current salary requirements to:
16700 Valley View Ave., Suite 400
La Mirada, CA 90638
Attn: Insert Position Title
You may send your resume with salary history and current salary requirements via e-mail to email@example.com. The position title must be stated in the subject line of the e-mail.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.