CENIC connects California to the world — advancing education and research statewide by providing the world-class network essential for innovation, collaboration, and economic growth. This nonprofit organization operates the California Research and Education Network (CalREN), a high-capacity network designed to meet the unique requirements of over 20 million users, including the vast majority of K-20 students together with educators, researchers and other vital public-serving institutions.
CENIC’s Charter Associates are part of the world’s largest education system; they include the California K-12 system, California Community Colleges, the California State University system, California’s Public Libraries, the University of California system, Stanford, Caltech, USC, and Naval Postgraduate School. CENIC also provides connectivity to leading-edge institutions and industry research organizations around the world, serving the public as a catalyst for a vibrant California.
Reporting to the Creative Director, Communications & Engagement, the Events & Engagement Coordinator is charged with managing the CENIC annual conference, CENIC workshops, and other events, as well as working with the team to assist in building effective, engaging, and inspiring communications that strengthen the organization’s brand and deepen connections with both internal and external communities.
- Manage a wide variety of events including the annual conference, workshops, and meetings
- Contribute to the communications development process
- Manage communications with outside constituents
- Develop and manage integrated event project plans and budgets
- Develop and manage all vendor partner and venue services required to produce events
- Understand and oversee activities of production, registration, and logistics, including management of staff, if required
- Collaborate with the Director and Communications & Engagement team to produce materials which inspire excitement and support CENIC events
- Take individual responsibility, consideration, and awareness, as appropriate to the position, for security of CENIC and CalREN computer systems, the CalREN backbone, CENIC network equipment, and CENIC computing accounts; for the security and privacy of CENIC data and data pertaining to CENIC employees; and for the security and privacy of all systems, networks, and data pertaining to CENIC Associates and peers. Look for opportunities, procedures, and tools to improve CENIC's privacy and security practices. Report any concerns about CENIC security and privacy to your manager, the CENIC Security Team and/or CENIC Executive Management.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience
- Two years of event management experience in a leadership role
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Strong leadership and project management skills
- Experienced, proficient, and confident verbal and written communications skills
- Self-motivated and a problem-solver
- Intelligent, critical thinker
- Ability to work independently and collaborate as part of a small team
- Exceptional organization and communication skills, with an eye for detail
- Ability to motivate a team and vendor partners to do their best work
- Exceptional budget management, negotiation, and organizational skills
- A familiarity of current event marketing and management technology and CMS systems
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint as well as electronic communication and Internet research
- Ability to work in a collegial, collaborative environment and to develop the necessary trust to successfully complete duties
- Natural networking instincts and adept at building and nurturing relationships with all types of constituent groups
An employee must be able to work at a computer for extended periods of time and maintain focus despite in person and telephone interruptions. An employee is regularly required to communicate clearly, often via phone or email, in English and required to use hands or fingers to handle or feel objects, tools and/or controls. An employee is required to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch and/or crawl. An employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and the ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job functions.
The regular workweek is Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Evening and weekend work may occasionally be required based on CENIC’s business demands.
The Events & Engagement Coordinator must be willing to travel for site inspections and events, as well as work flexible and occasionally long hours dependent upon production schedules. Out-of-area and overnight travel may occasionally be expected depending on CENIC’s business needs.
The salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. CENIC offers a generous benefits package, including health, dental, vision, and life insurance, liberal vacation, holiday, and sick leave, and employer match contribution to 403(b) retirement plan.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
CENIC is proud of the diversity of our staff and of those we serve and will not deny employment on the basis of race, national origin, ethnic identification, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, color, or disability; neither will CENIC discriminate against any employees on the basis of the above.
To apply for this position, please send your resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title in the subject line; or by mail to:
ATTN: [insert job title]
16700 Valley View Avenue, Suite 400
La Mirada, CA 90638
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.