LOCATION: CENIC 16700 Valley View, Ste. 400, La Mirada, CA 90638
SALARY: The salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Reporting to the Associate Director of Core Engineering, the Core Engineer designs, and implements innovative network solutions to advance CENIC’s organizational goals and objectives. The position provides advanced support of the network infrastructure owned and/or managed by CENIC. This includes the CalREN DC & HPR layer 2/3 networks, and the underlying layer 1 transport on DWDM optical systems across CENIC’s statewide fiber infrastructure. The Core Engineer actively works on multiple complex technical deployment projects simultaneously. Therefore, the position requires the ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a dynamic environment, managing multiple projects in order to complete them successfully and within expected timelines. The position also functions as a point of technical expertise to internal staff and external associates and serves as an official representative of CENIC in technical forums, panel discussions, and conference presentations.
The bullet points below detail the primary responsibilities and duties of the role. This is not considered a comprehensive list of job responsibilities. These are essential duties the Core Engineer is expected to perform in the normal course of work. Non-essential responsibilities, those considered peripheral, incidental or a minimal part of the job, are not specified in this section.
- Collaborate with internal staff and CENIC’s technical advisory councils to evaluate and recommend new network design, hardware, and technology as part of a continuing refresh cycle
- Plan and implement capacity upgrades for CENIC supported network infrastructure
- Perform all aspects of technical deployment projects, which include developing implementation plans, methods of procedure (MOP’s), and execution of work
- Provide hands-on engineering support of the existing network infrastructure and technologies
- Monitor performance, capacity, and availability of the network on an ongoing basis and recommend improvements in technologies and practices to improve these metrics
- Participate in on-call rotation for escalation support of technical issues, supporting the 24x7 production network environment
- Develop and maintain technical documentation and procedures, as well as establish and recommend policies and standards on network configuration and services
- Represent CENIC in regional, national, and international technical forums as required
- Other duties as assigned
KEY SUCCESS FACTORS:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field or equivalent work experience
- Thorough understanding of routing protocols, with preference for BGP and ISIS experience
- Proven experience and demonstrable success with designing, maintaining, and implementing complex multi-service networks
- Ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a dynamic environment, able to balance multiple projects, tasks, completing them successfully and within timelines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to think independently and exhibit excellent judgment
- Strong interpersonal skills, with focus on customer service orientation
- Ability to work well in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Hands on experience with carrier class routing, switching, and optical transport platforms preferred
- Experience with programming and building Network Automation tools using Perl, Python, SNMP and netconf preferred
PHYSICAL DEMANDS and WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Working with high-powered optical transmission equipment
- Occasional pulling and installing of cables in raised floors and overhead ladder racks
- Occasional lifting, installation and transportation of moderately heavy (25 to 50 pounds) and heavy (over 50 pounds) objects, such as routers, switches, computers and peripherals
- Valid non-commercial Class, C California driver’s license or equivalent license recognized by the State of California
- May require overnight travel within the United States, predominantly in California
- Occasionally positions self to maintain equipment, including under the desk and in the computer lab.
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person, on the telephone and/or provide assistance to internal or external parties.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This job description is subject to change at any time.
CENIC is an equal opportunity employer. CENIC is proud of the diversity of our staff and of those we serve. CENIC is committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, genetic information, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, lawful alien status, national origin, age, marital status, non-job related physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. We support an inclusive workplace where associates excel based on personal merit, qualifications, experience, ability, and job performance.
CENIC connects California to the world—advancing education and research statewide by providing the world-class network essential for innovation, collaboration, and economic growth. This nonprofit organization operates the California Research and Education Network (CalREN), a high-capacity network designed to meet the unique requirements of over 20 million users, including the vast majority of K-20 students together with educators, researchers and other vital public-serving institutions.
CENIC’s Charter Associates are part of the world’s largest education system; they include the California K-12 system, California Community Colleges, the California State University system, California’s Public Libraries, the University of California system, Stanford, Caltech, and USC. CENIC also provides connectivity to leading-edge institutions and industry research organizations around the world, serving the public as a catalyst for a vibrant California.
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION:
Please send your resume and current salary requirements to:
16700 Valley View Ave., Suite 400
La Mirada, CA 90638
Attn: Insert Position Title
You may send your resume with salary history and current salary requirements via e-mail to email@example.com. The position title must be stated in the subject line of the e-mail.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.