Senior Information Security Analyst / Engineer
CENIC connects California to the world — advancing education and research statewide by providing the world-class network essential for innovation, collaboration, and economic growth. This nonprofit organization operates the California Research and Education Network (CalREN), a high-capacity network designed to meet the unique requirements of over 20 million users, including the vast majority of K-20 students together with educators, researchers and other vital public-serving institutions.
CENIC’s Charter Associates are part of the world’s largest education system; they include the California K-12 system, California Community Colleges, the California State University system, California’s Public Libraries, the University of California system, Stanford, Caltech, USC, and Naval Postgraduate School. CENIC also provides connectivity to leading-edge institutions and industry research organizations around the world, serving the public as a catalyst for a vibrant California.
The successful candidate will aid in the advancement of CENIC's security engineering team efforts to provide information security services and support to CENIC and its Charter Associate members. The primary responsibilities of this position are to improve CENIC's security architecture, perform proactive and reactive security analysis, respond to and resolve security incidents and provide technical expertise, especially in the area of network, system and data protection. In addition, participation is expected in all aspects of information security that will further enable the mission of CENIC and its Charter Associates, such as participation in: uncovering computer and network vulnerabilities, reducing the risk incurred by vulnerabilities, infusing new security technologies into CENIC’s security architecture, and promoting a security culture through consulting and training. Solid interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively in a distributed team environment are a must. Travel within California and some additional US travel may be required.
- Serve as a core member of CENIC’s Security Group performing varying security duties including threat awareness, proactive network traffic analysis, incident response, forensic analysis, and resolution of security incidents.
- Collaborate with the CENIC Security Working Group, CENIC segment leaders, and other security experts around the state to develop plans, if appropriate, for a Security Operations Center.
- Integrate knowledge of network protocols, services, threats, vulnerabilities, mitigation strategies, hardware capabilities, and other information to build a security environment that reduces and mitigates risk while allowing CENIC’s open science mission to succeed.
- Evaluate a wide range of data, including Bro logs, NetFlow data, centralized syslog, authentication logs, and others to detect security incidents. Take timely action as appropriate: block problem traffic, send alerts and/or investigate when suspicious activity is detected.
- Develop new methods to detect and mitigate security attacks.
- Communicate with internal and external security personnel and system administrators about incidents.
- Respond appropriately to internal and/or external complaints (e.g., scanning, hacking, spamming, etc.).
- Promote a strong security culture throughout CENIC’s internal network, consulting with CENIC management and staff.
- Ability to be ‘on call’ outside of regular business hours on a regular and recurring basis.
- BA/BS in computer science or related field or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in information/cyber security.
- Experience developing software and proficiency in coding, using a security-centric approach.
- Experience using Bro network security monitoring (NSM) and host intrusion detection systems (IDS).
- IDS script and signature development.
- Hands-on network/packet level examination using tools such as tcpdump or wireshark.
- Working knowledge of regular expressions, data and text manipulation tools such as awk and sed.
- Experience with logging environments such as ELK Stack or Splunk.
- Experience programming in C, C++, Python, Ruby, or other popular language.
- Minimum of 4 years experience maintaining and administering production Unix/Linux operating systems including RedHat/CentOS and FreeBSD variants.
- Experience streamlining operational capabilities through standardization and automation.
- Able to work on multiple tasks and respond to rapidly changing priorities.
- Ability to serve as a consultant on long-range vision for security architecture for CENIC.
- Able to identify and implement security enhancements that will maximize the security profile of CENIC while being sensitive to its mission.
- Ability to formulate, organize, and present ideas in an effective manner. Develop proposals and clearly articulate cost/benefit trade-offs to various audiences.
- Self-motivated with demonstrated ability to work highly independently, requiring little direct supervision.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment and the ability to lead teams to reach consensus.
KEY SKILLS DESIRED
- Masters degree in information assurance, computer science, computer engineering or related field.
- Certifications and/or training in a technical security specialty (e.g., GIAC, CISSP).
- Strong understanding of Mac and Windows operating systems.
- Knowledge of public-key and private-key encryption techniques including DES, RSA, and PGP/GPG.
- Strong understanding of complex TCP/IP networks.
- Solid understanding of IPv6.
- Knowledge of Layer 2, Wireless, Switching and Routing Protocols
- Familiarity with securing virtualized environments.
- Familiarity and experience working on research and education networks.
- Familiarity with Research and Education networking communities in the US or abroad.
CENIC has two California offices, the home office in La Mirada and a smaller office in Berkeley. The Senior Information Security Analyst/Engineer will, initially, work out of the La Mirada office with some travel to the other office; if there is a preference for the Bay Area office, this might be accomplished once the security initiative is in place and fully functioning.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. CENIC offers a generous benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, and life insurance; liberal vacation, holiday, and sick leave; and employer contributions toward retirement.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
CENIC is proud of the diversity of our staff and of those we serve and will not deny employment on the basis of race, national origin, ethnic identification, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, color, or disability; neither will CENIC discriminate against any employees on the basis of the above.
To apply for this position, please send your resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title in the subject line; or by mail to:
ATTN: [insert job title]
16700 Valley View Avenue, Suite 400
La Mirada, CA 90638
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.