Network Engineer, Operations
CENIC connects California to the world — advancing education and research statewide by providing the world-class network essential for innovation, collaboration, and economic growth. This nonprofit organization operates the California Research and Education Network (CalREN), a high-capacity network designed to meet the unique requirements of over 20 million users, including the vast majority of K-20 students together with educators, researchers and other vital public-serving institutions.
CENIC’s Charter Associates are part of the world’s largest education system; they include the California K-12 system, California Community Colleges, the California State University system, California’s Public Libraries, the University of California system, Stanford, Caltech, USC, and Naval Postgraduate School. CENIC also provides connectivity to leading-edge institutions and industry research organizations around the world, serving the public as a catalyst for a vibrant California.
CENIC is seeking a Network Engineer to provide operational support of CENIC’s advanced services network. The Network Engineer’s scope of responsibilities includes but is not limited to the following functions:
- Problem troubleshooting and resolution, including interaction with site contacts, carriers, vendors, and CENIC’s senior level engineering group
- Proactively monitoring the CENIC networks to detect and resolve problems and ensure uninterrupted operations of the networks
- Planning, evaluating and executing network maintenance activities
- Participation in updating and revising policies, procedures, technical reports, documentation, and internal training material
- Two years in a network operations environment in support of customer networks; OR
- Two years in a technical support role interacting with contacts via phone and ticketing system; AND
- Hands-on experience with Cisco router configuration, management, and operations
- Administering and configuring Cisco routers/switches, which includes implementing firmware changes, OS releases and other software upgrades
- Troubleshooting router/network performance problems
- Troubleshooting circuit problems T1 to OC192
- Preparing announcements for maintenance activities or network outages
- Communicating effectively via phone and e-mail with network contacts and vendors
- Prioritizing of multiple demanding events along with daily tasks
- Willingness to work any shift (including weekends), as assigned, and to rotate shifts and schedules as assigned
- Experience with optical transmission systems such as WDM
- Experience in a university/research environment
- Cisco CCNP certification
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. CENIC offers a generous benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, and life insurance; liberal vacation, holiday, and sick leave; and employer contributions toward retirement.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
CENIC is proud of the diversity of our staff and of those we serve and will not deny employment on the basis of race, national origin, ethnic identification, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, color, or disability; neither will CENIC discriminate against any employees on the basis of the above.
To apply for this position, please send your resume and salary requirements to email@example.com with the position title in the subject line; or by mail to:
ATTN: [insert job title]
16700 Valley View Avenue, Suite 400
La Mirada, CA 90638
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.