Infrastructure and Facilities Engineer
POSTING DATE: Open until filled
CENIC connects California to the world—advancing education and research statewide by providing the world-class network essential for innovation, collaboration and economic growth. This nonprofit organization operates the California Research and Education Network (CalREN), a high-capacity network designed to meet the unique requirements of over 20 million users, including the vast majority of K-20 students together with educators, researchers and other vital public-serving institutions.
CENIC’s Charter Associates are part of the world’s largest education system; they include the California K-12 system, California Community Colleges, the California State University system, California’s Public Libraries, the University of California system, Stanford, Caltech, and USC. CENIC also provides connectivity to leading-edge institutions and industry research organizations around the world, serving the public as a catalyst for a vibrant California.
Reporting to the Manager, Infrastructure & Facilities, the Infrastructure and Facilities Engineer will provide support for the design, acquisition, installation and maintenance of CENIC's telecommunications fiber and colocation facilities. The Infrastructure and Facilities Engineer will work with current and future CENIC Associates and with CENIC staff to identify viable solutions for network connectivity.
Fiber Systems Planning and Design:
- Assist the Manager in developing alternatives for new fiber optic routes and designs to support Associate's requests and other initiatives, including potential designs.
- Assist the Manager, CENIC staff, and colocation providers in analysis of colocation space and power capacity for possible future needs.
- Work with contractors and customers on the design of fiber optic cabling systems, including fiber optic characterization requirements.
- Review vendor proposals.
- Work with CENIC staff and collocation providers on ordering and implementing colocation space and power to support project requirements.
- Develop implementation plans for customer connections.
- Manage implementation tasks, including coordination with CENIC's operations and Core engineers, commercial carriers, and other service providers on the installation, testing and/or acceptance of infrastructure or services as necessary.
- Manage contractor and service provider performance of fiber provisioning projects, including change order management.
Fiber and Facilities Operations:
- Obtain and/or assist in development of documentation, including as-built documentation.
- Assist the Manager in the development of proposals to management on network designs, services, policies, and procedures.
- Provide technical information, guidance, and training to other staff as required.
- Monitor and analyze network facility utilization for planning and network design purposes.
- Assist the Manager in the development of an overall network facilities long-term plan.
- Maintain a comprehensive and accurate database of network facility utilization.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
KEY SUCCESS FACTORS:
- Must have a working understanding of both Coarse Wave Division Multiplexing (CWDM) and Dense Wave Division Multiplexing (DWDM) optical technologies.
- Must be familiar with industry standards for the installation and maintenance of fiber optic cabling.
- Must be familiar with GIS systems and their use in mapping telecommunications routes.
- Must have a working understanding of facilities drawings associated with colocation space and power design and provisioning.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Strong commitment to customer service.
- Experience with testing of telecommunications circuits with speeds up to 10GE is highly desirable.
- Ability to specify and interpret fiber optic cable acceptance tests and test results, including power meter readings and OTDR traces is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of and ability to design with -48VDC power wiring in addition to AC power is highly desirable.
- Familiarity with outside plant construction practices highly desirable; familiarity with communications system construction in the public right of way a plus.
Sitting, standing, walking.
Work at computer for extended periods.
Lift and carry packages of up to 20 lbs.
Occasional overnight travel may be required.
The salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. CENIC offers a generous benefits package, including health, dental, vision, and life insurance, liberal vacation, holiday, and sick leave, and employer contribution to retirement.
CENIC has two California offices, the home office in La Mirada and a smaller office in Berkeley. The Infrastructure and Facilities Engineer will work out of the La Mirada office.
CENIC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
CENIC is proud of the diversity of our staff and of those we serve and will not deny employment on the basis of race, national origin, ethnic identification, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, color, or disability; neither will CENIC discriminate against any employees on the basis of the above.
Please send your resumes with salary history or current salary to:
16700 Valley View Ave. Suite 400
La Mirada, California 90638
Attn: Infrastructure Engineer
or via e-mail to email@example.com. "Infrastructure Engineer" must in the subject of the e-mail. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.